Frequently Asked Questions​


It’s probably a similar test, but a Canadian aviation medical must be completed with Certified Doctor. 

Our payments are handled on pay-as-you-go basis!


Just call one of the following doctors. Listing of some aviation doctors in BC that we recommend. To find more aviation doctors, visit this page: Click here for a search for Canadian Aviation Medical Doctors



For foreign students applying to our flight school, you will need to obtain a student visa. To do this please see our visa instructions attachment. You can also use this weblink to find out more information:

We are a ‘Designated Learning Institution (DLI)’ Therefore we can issue you with a LOA for your study permit application. For us to issue this, we require full payment of the application fee: CAD$525


Once you have your study permit, you will be allowed to start your training. However, before you can solo fly, you will need to complete a Canadian medical examination. WE STRONGLY RECOMMENDED DOING THIS BEFORE STARTING THE TRAINING AND AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE. As this can take some time.


Once you have your study permit, you will be allowed to work a maximum of 20 hours a week. This is subject to your study permit. It will be your responsibility while applying to make sure the 20-hour work allowance is included.


We are currently do not provide accommodation, however we will be happy to assist you in finding one. 

You do not need to have IELTS test, however, we are recommend you to have one. 

Yes sure. You can come at any time from 10:00am to 6pm (we are open on Sundays as well. Please note that sometimes the school’s door might be closed for 15-20min because we have to go to the apron to refuel and sanitize the aircrafts.

You can arrange a school tour or just drop in and we will show you around. 

Flight Training

Our fleet consists of Cessna 152, Cessna 172, Cessna 150 and Cessna 172 on Floats. 

Check More 

Currently fuel charge is $11 CAD per hour, however this price is subject to change with fuel price at the airport. 

To achieve a pilot licence a candidate has to complete requirements setup by Transport Canada. Transport Canada is Canada’s civil aviation regulator. Transport Canada spells out the requirements in the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARS) and written and flight test guides.

These requirements include ground school, flight training time, flight training device time, and flight test standard requirements. To achieve these requirements you need to work with a flight training unit who then has the responsibility to develop a syllabus and hire flight instructors/examiners to complete the training efficiently and safely.

There are 2 parts to learning to fly. The ground school and the flight training.

Flight Training. This is the actual in flight training in the airplane. One on one with a flight instructor. A typical lesson takes 2 hours. 30 minutes on the ground in a briefing room going over the flight (preparatory ground), 15 minutes for a preflight/walk around/fueling, 60 minutes for the flight itself, then 15 minutes to debrief. During the debrief you will discuss what went well, what didn’t go well and how to prepare for the next lesson.

You can start the flight training any time. You are in a class or one. When you and the instructor show up, the lesson starts. The pacing and schedule of the lessons are up to you. You can fly once a month, once a week, or 4-5 times a day if it’s productive for you. The more often you fly the sooner the course will be done and the less money it’ll cost you to learn to fly.

Ground Schools covers the theory you need to fly and to pass the written exam. Ground School can be done in a group setting, one on one with a flight instructor, or online as a distance learning course. The best method for ground school depends on the schedule you can maintain, the start day, and how you learn best.

You do not need to complete ground school before you start flight training. We suggest to do ground school and flying at the same time. What you learn in theory you can put to practical use in the airplane and the lesson will be better remembered.

That depends on you and the courses you want to complete. We allow students to progress at their own pace and schedule. Students may complete any of the courses part time or full time. A part time schedule might take 3-6 months to complete the Private Licence, and the Commercial Licence would take 1.5-2 years.  Students can train on weekends, weekdays, evenings. Students can complete the course in stages. Or complete the Private Licence, and then continue training for the Commercial a year later for example.  Students can complete the training full time.  

Pursuing flight training in as short an amount of elapsed time as possible will ensure that you are learning something new each time you go out, instead of trying to re-learn things you were taught last time. As a minimum, try to fly once or twice per week.
Where the requirements for one course are covered in another course, make sure you take the courses in an order so as to minimize the amount of flying you have to do. For instance, doing the instrument rating and the commercial pilot licence concurrently may minimize the amount of instrument training you will have to do.
Island Coastal Aviation has a certified instrument flight simulator, and most courses involving instrument training allow a portion of that training to be performed on a flight simulator. Simulator time is substantially less expensive than flight time. 
The more time and preparation you put into preparing for the next lesson the more you will get out of it. Prepare for the lesson by reading the manuals, memorizing the procedures, and visualizing the exercises.
When you are starting out, fly with a couple of instructors. Once you find one you like, stick with that instructor – it will minimize the time it takes you to get your licence or rating (which reduces the overall costs).

We have in site maintenance facility, dispatchers who make sure our schedule is booked accordingly to how busy we are, the availability is not a problem. 

We are located at Pitt Meadows airport which is a very convenient location for flying. We are only 5min away from the lower mainland practice areas: Glenn Valley, Pitt Lake. Also, the airport is not very busy which means the waiting time on the ground before take-off is generally low. Less time on the ground, more time for flying!

We are not forcing our students to do any rating or license they don’t need or want. Our training program advisors can help you with the information you need in order to achieve your goals. 

In case if you will have to change an instructor for whatever reason, we will assign a new instructor for you right away. 

7hours of flight time on a float plane is the requirement, as per transport Canada. However, it is difficult to find a job as a float plane pilot with only 7h, most of the companies will require at least 50h.

What is the difference between and 7hours float rating and a 50hours float rating?


7hours of flight time on a float plane is the requirement, as per transport Canada. However, it is difficult to find a job as a float plane pilot with only 7h, most of the companies will require at least 50h.


It is the same if you privately own or plan to buy a float plane, insurance companies require minimum 50h flight time on float planes to insure you.

It is the same if you privately own or plan to buy a float plane, insurance companies require minimum 50h flight time on float planes to insure you.

Yes, it is. You have to complete and Pilot competency check (PCC) with one of our instructors, complete a POH exam and pay an enrollment fee of $150+ 5% tax.

You can cancel a flight maximum 24h before your flight. A late cancelation fee will apply for any late cancelation.

Please note cancelations due to the bad weather conditions or health issues are not subject of any charge, if proof is provided. 


Yes, it is an “in-person ground school” for 2h every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. evening from 17:30 to 19:30. It is a good option because you will have interactions with the group, and you will have the opportunity to ask questions if needed. It will take 4-5 weeks to go gain your 40 hours of round school required for your PPL. 


Please note, due to the COVID-19, Zoom option for ground school is also provided. 


Yes. Canada belongs to the ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) country. All flying hours are transferable. Some countries will require written of flight test to convert.

We are hiring instructors on demand, and our graduates have priority. However, we cannot guarantee that you will be hired upon graduation. Please check our career page for current opportunities. 

We are maintaining our fleet according to Transport Canada regulations. We provide inspections every 100-h and every 200-h as well as calendar item inspections. 

We do not have set dates when you can start your training, therefore it is depends on you availability. You can start your training anytime! 

It is depends on type of license you would like to get, generally speaking average amount of time for PPL is 3-6 month and for 0-CPL including additional IFR or Floatplane Ratings takes 1.5 – 2 Years

Yes, you can work up to 20h off campus on your study permit. 

Mask are mandatory inside the building and during the flights. We also sanitize the aircrafts between each flight. All our staff is fully vaccinated to provide safe environment for students and employees. 


Please check our COVID Readiness Plan. 

If you still have a questions please contact us

For Details Please Submit Message Below